Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Black Cat


Poe,

I’ve just finished reading your short story The Black Cat. It was very dark and you touched upon symbols that connected throughout the story. Your love for animals reminds me of how important science is to me. However the animal abuse in the story is dark and left my asking why a character could preform such an action. The character that is depicted seems like he had a normal life until he brings up how he hit his wife. It seemed liked nothing could get worse until the character gouges his cats eye out with a pen knife. I believe in karma, after the cat was killed, there was a sense that there would be something bad to follow it. The story left me questioning what horrid event could happen next. I liked how you wrapped up the story with introducing another cat that eventually led the character to kill his wife and be taken away by the police. Overall the story caught my attention and left me questioning what the character would do next.

Sincerely,

Hawthorne  

1 comment:

  1. Hawthorne,

    The reason why the character would commit such vile acts is simple; he is evil. As are all men. You may believe that all humans are imperfect in some way, but I look deeper and show that humans are beyond imperfect; they are simply evil and immoral.

    Sincerely,

    Poe

    ReplyDelete